Key aspects of the renovation focused on creating vastly improved floor plans, a new kitchen and bathrooms, introducing a new four-stop elevator, painstakingly preserving elaborate interior details, and restoring the soaring, domed stair hall. New structure was designed to strengthen the original foundation which enabled the basement floor to be lowered by two feet. With comfortable new ceiling heights, the basement was transformed with fine interior details and now offers a large media room, gym with changing room, and wine cellar.
We designed complete renovation and restoration plans for this intricately detailed, 6,000 square-foot, Second Empire mansion, in Philadelphia's historic Rittenhouse Square District. Originally designed by the Hewitt brothers (protégés of Frank Furness) around 1874, but converted into five apartments in the 1960's, our plans return this handsome structure back into a magnificent single-family home.
Working closely with the Philadelphia Historical Commission, we completed details for a thorough facade restoration, historically-accurate enhancements to the exterior, and the redesign of an existing, freestanding 3-car garage.